Category Archives: Community

How I’m Learning to Approach Relationships Differently {on leading people to Jesus… or not}

Monday morning finds me down the street from our place at what has become my favorite Starbucks in our area. I’m growing to enjoy the quirks of the different baristas, and today I find myself smiling as I sit alone with … Continue reading

Posted in Community, leadership, Learning Authenticity, Ministry, misc. walking with Jesus, Presence, Uncategorized | 13 Comments

A broken piece of my story, and one thing that scares me

The dream is poignant. Terrifying. We’re in Kansas City, and an unnamed social worker has located some distant member of Maia’s biological family — a great grandmother, maybe? — who wants to raise our daughter. And somehow, despite our very finalized, … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Confidence in God, Encountering God in the Messy, Freedom From Perfectionism, Goodness of the Gospel, Grief and Loss, leadership, Learning Authenticity, Ministry, misc. walking with Jesus, risk, Uncategorized, Unforced Rhythms | 31 Comments

In which I take a deep breath and share… {#oneword2015}

Tears burn the backs of my eyes as I open my WordPress “Create New Post” page this afternoon. I’ve mentioned it before, but it’s what happens to me more often than not when words are ready to be given voice. They … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Creativity, Give Me Grace, Goodness of the Gospel, Grief and Loss, Learning Authenticity, Ministry, misc. walking with Jesus, One Word, Transition, Uncategorized, Writing | 48 Comments

Becoming a Different Kind of Small

My kids nap peacefully on Tuesday afternoon, and I catch up on a couple of Voxer conversations with dear friends. I meander for a moment onto Facebook, where I find that one of those friends has written a new blog … Continue reading

Posted in Attending to His Presence, Community, Ministry, misc. walking with Jesus, Parenting, Presence, Uncategorized | 24 Comments

Day 31: On Kind Curiosity, and What I’m Going to Do Now

Thursday evening finds me at Starbucks, sent here by my precious hubby to write this, my last. post. of my 31 Days series. I can hardly believe it’s over. This, after having spontaneously shared a new song with you today, as a guest … Continue reading

Posted in 31 Days 2014, Community, Creativity, Learning Authenticity, Ministry, misc. walking with Jesus, Uncategorized | 8 Comments

Day 28: An Unconventional Birth Story {sort of}

Morning comes too early yet again, annnnd yet again I find myself with no pre-written post to share today. I sat down two different times yesterday, began typing words, trying to wrap language around some facet or another of the … Continue reading

Posted in 31 Days 2014, Community, Creativity, Learning Authenticity, misc. walking with Jesus, Music, Writing | 11 Comments

Day 24: An Open Letter from a Mom of Littles [Why I Need You To Just Come Over]

So it’s no secret that I’m a mom of 2 amazing small people. And even though I feel like my heart is fully alive (most days) and I’m embracing this season in all its fun and intensity?  Parenting a baby … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Home and Family Management, Learning Authenticity, misc. walking with Jesus, Parenting, Uncategorized | 25 Comments

Day 20: In Which Community Is Rich {and an apology to my email subscribers}

This past weekend was one that lent itself to richer fellowship than Stan and I have experienced in awhile. We sat over barbecue around our dining room table and caught up on friends’ lives and stories and prayed for one … Continue reading

Posted in 31 Days 2014, Allume, Community, Learning Authenticity, misc. walking with Jesus, Music | 4 Comments

The Best Way {for me} to Really Love

Our friends who are a full life season ahead of us, they sit on our couch the other night and graciously receive Stan’s and my poured out hearts. We talk of busyness, and how being surrounded by so much … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Freedom From Perfectionism, misc. walking with Jesus, Uncategorized | 22 Comments

The Power of “I See You”

My friend walks across the church building toward where I sit holding my baby girl. Arriving at my seat, she squats down to make eye contact with me, and there’s no escaping her unwavering gaze as she looks right through … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Compassion, Ministry, misc. walking with Jesus, Uncategorized | 15 Comments