A broken piece of my story, and one thing that scares me

photo

The dream is poignant. Terrifying.

We’re in Kansas City, and an unnamed social worker has located some distant member of Maia’s biological family — a great grandmother, maybe? — who wants to raise our daughter. And somehow, despite our very finalized, very permanent adoption, has legal rights to her.

We have no choice but to pack up our 19-month-old’s toys, clothes, belongings, and drive her 60 miles to her new home in a small Missouri town where this grandmother lives.

The shock and trauma are palpable. I’m fighting back a torrent of tears, trying to be strong for Isaac and Maia as we prepare to hand our sweet girl over to an elderly relative she’s never met, not knowing if we’ll ever see her again.

And once again, we will cease being a daughter’s Mama and Daddy. My heart is pulverized.

Somewhere along the way to this small town, we stop at a restaurant for lunch–

–and Isaac cracks open the door to our bedroom.

I’m awake. And maybe only one previous time in my entire life have I been so relieved to discover it was only a dream.

Gratitude washes over me, along with an intense desire to kiss my daughter’s perfect cheeks, which I quickly make my way out to the dining room to do.

photo 4-1

It’s been this growing awareness in my heart lately — the fact that Maia is nearing the age that our foster daughter Tali was back in 2010 when we had to hand her over to her biological mother. We parented her from 2 days old, and then suddenly we were no longer Mom and Dad. Tali was 21 months when we lost her. Maia turns 19 months today.

I’ve been anxious to cross that 21-month threshold with Maia because I think, maybe, some deep place in my subconscious might settle a bit. She’s really ours. We really don’t have to hand her over to a dysfunctional system.

Whew.

While I’ve anticipated the sense of heart-relief that will come after Maia hits 21 months on March 19th, I didn’t fully anticipate this resurfacing of the trauma of losing Tali as that date draws nearer. I find myself thinking of her more often lately, needing to intentionally, repeatedly entrust her precious, now 6-year-old heart to the perfect care of the God who made her and is committed to her life.

And I’m reminded how that particular piece of my story, of my mama-heart, still hangs open. Raw. Broken, if not always acutely felt. And I yet again consider the invitations to intimacy with Jesus that come hand-in-hand with that brokenness, if I’ll be brave enough to respond to Him in those hurting places. (Psalm 34:18)

photo 3

****

This morning I have a dear friend at home with my littles — my first morning out, alone, since our move. So I throw on my favorite hoodie and boots, teach Natalia how to work our child-locks and let her know to keep Isaac on task in the bathroom so gigantoid messes don’t happen — and drive the few blocks down the street to “our” Starbucks.

Venti coffee in hand, I find a little nook in a corner, and read a while in Buechner’s Telling the Truth. And can I just say — if you haven’t read it, you may wanna consider adding this gem to your reading list for this year.

I’ve been making my way through it ever-so-slowly since we moved, and I find it rearranging places inside me that are still much too deep and unformed try and wrap words around. Jesus is using these words to pull back layers of pretense. To more fully excavate my truest self, my deepest identity in light of the wild extravagance of the gospel.

photo 1-3

photo 2-1

****

I find myself stepping into new places here in Colorado. Invitations to lead worship are coming in in higher numbers than I’ve ever experienced, and there are all these risks to which I’m saying [gulp] yes.

Never have I been more thankful for the support and wisdom of my husband, and never have I been more sobered by the ways Jesus is inviting me to partner with His Spirit in facilitating heart-encounters with Him, and simultaneously by the need to carefully, prayerfully consider my yeses and my no’s.

I almost went back just now and added exhilarated to the sentence above, after the word sobered, but while I know the exhilarated piece will come — it always does when I have the privilege to witness the Holy Spirit’s movement upon hearts — right now I mostly feel afraid, if I’m honest. Afraid, yet also profoundly grateful for the peace of knowing that I know it’s Jesus who’s calling me into these places that feel so far over my head.

And He’s trustworthy.

photo 2

In all this stepping out and moving into uncharted waters, this desire rises over and over again to my heart’s surface: I want a deeper authenticity. Both in the way I love Him, and in the way I coach others into that love. I want performance to fall off my shoulders, and while I do desire to tenderly consider and gently lead people’s hearts, I don’t want a show — even if it’s what I think needs to happen in order to keep people comfortable.

I want (though there’s fear attached to this, too) to let my gaps be exposed before Him and before those with whom He’s calling me to live life. Because as much as I’d love not to, I will certainly fail to meet expectations. And it’s when I allow my gaps to be seen that God has room to show up and encounter those I care about.

So the groaning of my heart these days is that when I’m in leadership in whatever form, and when my raw, still-in-process places are glaring, what will also be exposed is Jesus. His strength perfected in my abundant weakness. His glory. His heartbeat. His relentlessly tender pursuit of these precious hearts.

photo 1-1

I want to love and sing and live and bleed that stuff, you guys. Weakness and all. I want to be genuinely myself as I do it, even when the temptation is to move toward presenting some partially masked version of myself that I think might soothe or impress or garner man’s praise.

So I find these heart-cries surfacing even as I write —

Distill me, God. Purify my motives, intentions, interactions. Purge me of the pretense that comes from the fear of man’s disapproval.

And as I press my scarred and scared places into your perfect, healing, all-consuming Love, let me move forward in this confidence that can only come from abiding in that place — right up next to Your burning heart.

P.S. Sharing these words over at Kelly’s newly birthed linkup — formerly Kelli Woodford’s Unforced Rhythms community — with a heartful of gratitude for Kelli’s months of gracious hosting of our hearts.

***Addendum***

I want to be clear that my logical mind has absolutely zero doubt that Maia is ours, and permanently. I simply think that somewhere in my subconscious, I just haven’t quite recovered from the fear that came with the loss of Tali. And I do, however irrational, look forward to moving beyond the 21-month mark with Maia. But Jesus steadies my heart… and I am so thankful for my beautiful girl. Thanks for your love and care, my friends. I deeply appreciate you.

This entry was posted in Community, Confidence in God, Encountering God in the Messy, Freedom From Perfectionism, Goodness of the Gospel, Grief and Loss, leadership, Learning Authenticity, Ministry, misc. walking with Jesus, risk, Uncategorized, Unforced Rhythms. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to A broken piece of my story, and one thing that scares me

Dana, beautiful post. As I read about your fear for Maia, my heart broke. I had to stop & pray for her little life, for God to protect her & to keep her safe within your family. I prayed for Tali. May our God keep her safe, weaving people into her life to bring her to Himself at a young age. We live in such a broken & hurting world. Yet we are here for purposes beyond what we can imagine & for His glory alone. Praying along with you, for lives of authenticity. For as we live for Him alone, we will surely be able to say – it was all worth it! Blessings!
    Joanne Viola recently posted…Change and HopeMy Profile

2. Joe Pote says:

Oh, how heart-breaking that must have been to give up Tali…small wonder that your subconscience fears somethign similar with Maia.

May our God of all comfort speak strength and comfort to your soul during this time of change in your life.

Thank you for sharing!
    Joe Pote recently posted…God of DivorceMy Profile

3. Dana, dear one, you put words to my heart’s cry these days. This idea of leading not out of my broken places, but not hiding them either, trusting that He’s able to use even the shards. That my broken places aren’t what disqualify but rather what qualify me for these leadership positions, because these broken, not-yet places of my heart are where I get to model over and over again what it looks like to walk this journey of now and not-yet.

May you hear the whispers of peace from One who commands winds and waves slipping through the cracks of your day to settle into these stormy places where He is working in you.

Love you dear friend. Your authenticity is a gift.
    Dry Bones Dance recently posted…A Look BackMy Profile

4. Beth Hess says:

A heart this pure, this full of grace, this willing to let God seep into and then out of all the aching and hurting places is nothing short of the offering God wants from us all. I am fully confident it is a sweet aroma of praise to Him. An offering of the most precious kind that He will bless beyond measure.
    Beth Hess recently posted…For When Life calls for SilenceMy Profile

5. Deb Weaver says:

Dana, thank you for sharing your gut-wrenching fear and vulnerable heart. Oh, may God press in and hold you firmly as you journey a new path in CO.
    Deb Weaver recently posted…“Echoing the Heavenly Chorus”My Profile

6. Dana,
    How heartbreaking for Tali and for you…praying now for God’s continued presence on her and protection for your heart…thank you for sharing how God is meeting you in your hurting places…thank you for your courage.
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted…Renew 2: What you need to remember when you have a setbackMy Profile

Dana, dear friend, thank you so much for the words of your heart. That fear is so palpable. It’s one of the reasons I find myself holding back about venturing into this adoption/foster care journey. I’m scared too friend. Let’s be brave together!!!
    Tara recently posted…Here I Am Lord, Send Me!My Profile

8. Mary Geisen says:

Oh my dear Dana! Thank you for sharing a piece of you that is not only one of your greatest fears but a chance for you to be vulnerable and raw with those who love you. I am honored to know another piece of your story because three days in Greenville, SC didn’t allow us enough time to dig deep. I am praying for you as you bravely make your way in CO and with all that God is asking of you. Love you girl!
    Mary Geisen recently posted…Sunday Morning Always Comes ~ TearsMy Profile

9. Natalie says:

He gives beauty for our ashes, our brokenness, our weakness, our utter need for Him. The longings of your heart stir a desire for change in mine.
    Natalie recently posted…A Little ThingMy Profile

10. Rebecca says:

praying comfort to you as you walk through this time. praying Isaiah 58, Ps 147, and Ps 34 over you all tonight.

Friend. The way you allow your heart to break open and bleed across this screen is a wonder, a grace, a sacred gift. I hold these words you share today with such tenderness and respect. With sadness over the brokenness of your heart with Tali. And with hope for the continued healing of the torn places, for the breathtaking beauty of life that is Maia, for the journey of your heart into deeper realms. I love you so.
    Amber C. recently posted…In lieu of wordsMy Profile

12. Miah says:

Thanks for your vulnerability Dana. I’m encouraged by your journey.

13. ~Karrilee~ says:

I just adore you, my friend! I am praying for your hurting Mama heart and agreeing with you for His loving hand to guide Tali! He is able and willing and loves her so! Praying for you as well… as you settle in to this new place that seems to be sending you out more and more. Praying that performance gives way to passionate pursuit of Him alone. It does… oh how I know it does already, but sometimes the stage and lights and invitations can create other paths… He knows your heart and trusts you with His! And Amen to stepping fully into our true selves! Love you!

This is such a beautifully raw and honest post. Thank you for sharing your heart with us. Reading you and other courageous writers has inspired me to be more vulnerable. My sister and I shared our hearts in a phone conversation last night while she cleaned up her kitchen and I watched my children play. I love this quote from your post.

“So the groaning of my heart these days is that when I’m in leadership in whatever form, and when my raw, still-in-process places are glaring, what will also be exposed is Jesus. His strength perfected in my abundant weakness. His glory. His heartbeat. His relentlessly tender pursuit of these precious hearts.”

I so long for this for Jesus’s strength to be perfected in my weaknesses which recently have seemed so apparent in my life. Thank you again for sharing your heart.
    Jolene recently posted…Multitude Monday 1,000 gifts the third Monday of January editionMy Profile

15. Rachel Meyer says:

So praying for you. I’m a dreamer and I know how much they can shake you up, esp after going through what you did. Love you friend. Let’s get coffee soon!
    Rachel Meyer recently posted…Notifications just got a boost!My Profile

16. Pingback: On bringing weakness as an offering {the story of my Friday} | Dana L. Butler