Day 28: An Unconventional Birth Story {sort of}

Rooted Final 500 x 500

Morning comes too early yet again, annnnd yet again I find myself with no pre-written post to share today.

I sat down two different times yesterday, began typing words, trying to wrap language around some facet or another of the fire in my belly… and both times, I got 5 or 10 minutes in, and the dissonance, for lack of better terminology, was so strong that I needed to put the writing down and come back later.

Something was off.

I may sound crazy, y’all, and believe me — this whole 31 Days thing has stretched me beyond myself to the point where I have moments of wondering, too. But I knew that I knew that the words I was banging out onto the screen yesterday — they weren’t the right ones.

So last night when I sat down to write, again with fire in my bones that I knew needed to come out, yet continued to feel the same dissonance? I stopped. Prayed (again).

And then I did something I very, very rarely do. I asked for prayer over my process. I posted this on my personal Facebook wall:

“Hey, my friends. Writing tonight, and could use prayer that what needs to come out, will come. Stand with me?”

The response just about made me cry, y’all. “Like” after “like” poured in, along with comments of support and encouragement and yes, prayer.

I was undone by the number of my friends, and my acquaintances through this beautiful writing world, who liked or commented. I felt encircled. Covered in prayer and care as I continued to hunker down on my couch with my little laptop and my small words and this holy, burning love vibrating inside me, deep and furious.

And then…

The realization hit me. Actually, it was more like a divine whisper in my core:

Dana, this isn’t a blog post. Put down the computer. Grab your notebook, girl. This is a song.

Oh. A song. Well, that doesn’t give me a blog post for tomorrow morning, but… okay.

I kid you not — it was a mere 4 minutes, maybe, from the time you all began to pray, and the time I traded computer for notebook.

The lyrics came, y’all, like a river, complete with melody running through my head as I nearly illegibly scribbled verse, chorus, tag lines onto the page.

And I don’t talk like this often, but you guys? I felt like I birthed that song. The burning inside me — this deep, almost uncomfortable knowing that SOMEthing needed to come out — it settled, calmed even as I put pen to paper and scratched out those lyrics.

And you, my friends who prayed me through? I’ll just say it was incredible and perfect and so just like God, how you prayed, and then, bam — it all just flowed.

And I don’t have a lot else to say this morning as I sit here, propped up in bed while it’s still dark outside, just reveling in this small {but huge to my heart} manifestation of God’s sweetness to me.

I will share the song as soon as my voice is able (I’m a bit hoarse due to a cough). For now though? Just know, you guys, that I value your support, your care, your companionship in this space, so. much. more. than I can tell you in words.

I am so thankful we’re on this journey together.

___________

This post is part of my 31 Days series, Rooted: 31 Days of Authenticity (from my life in limbo). You can find the entire series here.

Also, if you don’t want to miss future posts or song reveals, I invite you to subscribe to receive each post in your inbox.

This entry was posted in 31 Days 2014, Community, Creativity, Learning Authenticity, misc. walking with Jesus, Music, Writing. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Day 28: An Unconventional Birth Story {sort of}

1. I cannot wait to hear it! I’ve been half way silent lately because of sick kids and car repairs and just life in general. But I love your series so hard. I can’t wait until I have the time to read it from beginning to end. This is begging to become an ebook.
    NJ @ A Cookie Before Dinner recently posted…Ask Away Friday With Tamara Like CameraMy Profile

NJ, you are so kind to me and for the life of me I struggle to understand why you love my series so hard. 😉 Really. But THANK YOU, friend. I love you, and your encouragement means so, so much. <3

Dana – I loved this post as it further opened up something to me which I have been noticing this month. We are all participating in a 31 day challenge but the thing remains that it is a challenge to us, for us. I have been wondering if the challenge will not only look different to each of us but be different to each of us. For the greater challenge may not be to “write” for 31 days but that in the challenge we discover something new in us which God is looking to birth.
    For me, one of the things which has come forth is that I can find community & friendship through this. I have been amazed at the encouragement which has poured from this.
    It’s a 31 day challenge which is unique to each of us because He has created us each so uniquely. Some will write, some will compose, some will sing, some will draw, some will cook, some will decorate. Some will do it for 5 days, or 28, or 31, or 7. But in it, we can come alongside of each other and cheer for one another and in that, we ALL grow.
    This has been such a beautiful & challenging month :) May He deposit more songs, more music, more lyrics into your heart. And maybe I am saying that just a little selfishly as I will get to hear the beauty of what He creates in & through you! Blessings!
    Joanne Viola recently posted…Day 28: When Giants FallMy Profile

“…that in the challenge we discover something new in us which God is looking to birth.” YES. That, Joanne. And I love that you’ve found community and new friendships this month — this is blogging at its best. Your presence here is a continual blessing to my heart, friend. Thank you so much.

I love the times that God surprises me, by answering a prayer in a way that I didn’t quite expect. I also love the community of #write31days and that community comes in a variety of shapes and forms. It is amazing that God gives us sisters to be in community with who are thousands miles apart but we can share our hearts.
    Jolene recently posted…Day 28 Resting in scriptural promises 2 Corinthians 1:3-4My Profile

Yes, Jolene – I am so, so thankful for all this community, too. For the way my writing friends see and hear me — it is unique from what I experience in my other friendships. I so love the way Jesus has deepened and expanded me both through my writing and through the friendships that have come out of it. Bless you, my friend!

4. Marvia says:

My favorite kind of story… The one where God shows up where we least expect though our expectation is for Him. He comes!
    Marvia recently posted…Real Talk on SufferingMy Profile

I’m very excited to hear this new song. Prayer is an unbelievable amazing grace-filled gift. I can remember the many times I’ve asked for prayer and God has answered those prayers through my friends.
    Tara recently posted…The Value of TearsMy Profile

Tara I have so loved connecting with you over this month. Thank you for your faithful presence here in these days… and for your encouragement. You bless my heart, sister.

6. Pingback: Day 30: That Song Y’all Prayed Me Through the Other Night {a guest post at Barbie’s place} | Dana L. Butler