Day 12: In Which I Sing for You {just breathe}

Rooted Final 500 x 500

Okay, my friends. Here we are. It’s Sunday, and I’ve promised you me.

On camera.

Singing and playing one of my own songs.

Whew. Deep breaths, Dana.

This is completely unprecedented for me, as I’ve never shared my own music online before. But when I asked my Facebook friends for #31Days series ideas, one of the themes that repeated itself in people’s answers was that they wanted my music.

And truly, I have sensed all year long that the time was coming for me to share this part of who I am with you all here.

While Stan and I do have “professional” recording equipment and have taken some steps toward recording/producing some of my music, I’m finding that, for now anyway, I feel more comfortable sharing my songs by way of totally unedited, unprofessional iPhone video. Why this is, I’m not sure, other than perhaps just that I like the raw, unproduced feel of a video like this… and maybe that I feel like my true heart comes across more clearly this way.

So, despite the fact that guitar is not my first instrument — piano is — and I’m embarrassed by my limited guitar skillz… and despite the fact that I feel totally awkward on video (gah!) as I speak to you beforehand — I’m offering this to y’all and to the Lord today — and asking the Holy Spirit to breathe on my offering.

This song was written just several months ago, in a season when I was acutely in touch with one of my greatest weaknesses. Frustrated with my inability to “grow” or to make myself function differently in that particular arena, I sensed Jesus inviting me into a place of encounter with Him in those raw, hurting places — asking me to lay down my desire to try and “fix myself.” (2 Corinthians 12:8-10)

It’s in laying down my need to “have it all together” that I’ve experienced intimacy with Him, and that intimacy has brought healing to my heart (and subsequently growth in my weak places) from the inside out. Healing that flows *out of* depth of relationship with Him, versus out external compliance that comes from trying to force change in my own strength.

This song is titled Just Breathe. I’ll post the lyrics below.

My prayer is that this is a pleasing fragrance to His heart, and a blessing to you all who walk beside me here.

{You may need to crank your volume up — the joys of totally amateur iPhone video recording.}

Just Breathe

I was woven with threads of longing
Carved with caverns of desire
Drawn from oceans of endless need and
Made to know you in my weakness, God

Chorus:

I’ve asked you to take my weakness
But you’ve promised grace will be enough
And deep cries out as you invite me in
So I’ll take my tender places
And press them deep into your heart
And you will place your scars against my own
And we’ll sit awhile here… and just breathe
Yeah we’ll sit a while here–

Endless longing birthing beauty
The fragrance of desire
Aching to be satisfied
To be embraced within your holy heart

(to chorus)

{Disclaimer/copyright}

P.S. If you missed last Sunday’s instrumental piece, you can find it here.

P.P.S. Sharing this post with my sweet friends in Lisha and Kelli’s communities.

__________

This is Day 12 of a 31-day series. You can find the rest of the series here.

Also, if you’d like to follow along so you don’t miss any of my 31 Days posts, I invite you to subscribe to receive each post in your inbox.

This entry was posted in 31 Days 2014, Give Me Grace, Learning Authenticity, misc. walking with Jesus, Music, Uncategorized, Unforced Rhythms, Writing. Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Day 12: In Which I Sing for You {just breathe}

1. Just beautiful Dana! I loved the music, the bravery, the lyrics, the heart behind it all. Thank you so much for stepping out and sharing.
    Jolene Underwood (@Faith_Eyes) recently posted…Don’t throw it awayMy Profile

2. Mary Geisen says:

Ahh, beauty and sweetness wrapped together in your words and music. Sunday blessings to my brave new friend!
    Mary Geisen recently posted…Sunday Morning Always Comes-ReleaseMy Profile

3. Dana, this song , your voice, your worship, this offering…so very beautiful! Thank you for your courage and for sharing. The line “I’ll just sit awhile here” will be going through my head all day — what a gift! I’m so proud of you — for the ways you’re trusting Jesus through this 31 Days and allowing us to be recipients of your heart gifts touched and graced by Jesus. I love you.
    Ashley Larkin recently posted…Five Minute Friday: CareMy Profile

Oh Ashley, sister of my heart… Thank you for the way you see me and affirm what you see. Your friendship and your desiring of who I am just – I don’t know – dismantles me somehow. I love you so, so much. You are a great gift.

4. Robyn says:

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your heart. It is inspiring to watch you do something new and do it for the Lord. I feel out of my comfort zone and very vulnerable writing 31 days, so it is great to watch you do it with such honesty. Blessings to you!
    Robyn recently posted…When the Storm is God’s WillMy Profile

Oh Robyn, do I ever identify with that feeling of vulnerability, of being out of your comfort zone. This 31 days, so far, has been like that for me, too. OH, soooo much like that. Blessings to you too, friend. I am thankful for your presence with me here.

Dana – beautiful. Love this line >>> “And you will place your scars against my own”. In asking for our own scars to be healed, how easy to forget that it is by His scars that we find healing. Thank you so much for sharing your heart & music & for reminding me of His scars. He truly does know exactly how we feel for He experienced scarring Himself. Bless you, friend!
    Joanne Viola recently posted…Day 12: Unbelief is What?My Profile

That line, Joanne… what I have experienced with the Lord in my hurting places makes that line almost too tender and intimate to sing. But I had to include it because it’s so what He has done for me — allowed me to share with Him in the fellowship of His suffering, filled in my gaps, used His scars to make me whole. Anyway, I am so blessed, as always, by the way you receive my heart, friend. Thank you so much. And mega blessings back at you, sister.

6. ~Karrilee~ says:

So beautiful! All of it… thank you for sharing your gift, your heart, your brave, your worship!
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted…DAY TWELVE – Counting OnMy Profile

7. Beautiful, Dana! I love this, and I love your heart !

Dana, this is beautiful. Your offering to the Lord of worship, this song, the lyrics and melody, it caught me up with Him this morning. Truly blessed and so grateful that you shared.
    Barbie recently posted…Day 12: To Lie Down And RestMy Profile

Barbie I always feel so *seen* by you. This is no exception. I’m thankful for your presence with me here, for your heart that enters into worship with me, that loves Him alongside me. Always – whether in writing or song. Thankful for you, sister.

9. and tonight I’ll dance before Him, listening to your words and beautiful words. “We’ll just sit awhile here and just breathe.” On the bus and see the choreography already. Thank you for sharing your gift Dana.

Oh sister, if you dance this song — I want to see. Please send or post video…?? Thank you for “going there” with Him, with me. I love you, friend.

10. You have no reason to fear letting us hear your music, girl! This is a beautiful song and I loved your video. Thank you so much!
    Holly Barrett recently posted…Day 12: You may know the certaintyMy Profile

11. Love, Love, Love! So much brave and beautiful here. I’m so glad you did this! <3
    Chandra Hadfield recently posted…31 Days Seeking GodMy Profile

12. Gayl says:

Dana, this is so beautiful and sung with such expression. Thank you for sharing this part of your heart with us.
    Gayl recently posted…Is This What I lack?My Profile

Oh yes… :) Expression for sure. I don’t know any other way to *be* before Him than straight up raw — ya know? Thank you so much for being here, Gayl. For receiving my heart.

13. Alia Joy says:

Oh I’m so glad you did this and shared it. I’m taking a break tonight. Listening to “we’ll just sit awhile and just breathe.” So good and beautiful and true. AND I loved seeing you, less than 2 weeks and we’ll do this in person!
    Alia Joy recently posted…An Open Letter to the Resting DaysMy Profile

Alia, I so hope your break to “just breathe” with Him last night was restorative to your soul. Thank you for cheering me on, friend, for calling out and desiring what Jesus has put in me. You bless me so big. Can’t wait to see you next week! Aaahhh!

14. Pingback: Day 13: Two Ways We Are Surviving Loss and Limbo | Dana L. Butler

15. hope says:

Beautiful!!
    hope recently posted…{long goodbyes}My Profile

16. You inspire us Dana, to use our God-given gifts to glorify Him, iphones and all. This was pure beauty.
    tammy@meadows_speak recently posted…In A World Full Of Trouble, My Childlike Faith Will Rise (Playdates with God)My Profile

Hey Tammy, thank you, friend. Your presence here encourages my heart. So glad you’re inspired to bring Him glory. YES. Amen. Much love to you.

17. Beth S. says:

Beautiful all around. Thank you for sharing your gift with us. Blessings.
    Beth S. recently posted…The Promised Land {Day 7: #write31days}My Profile

Dana. This is ravishing. Every bit of it. What a gift to get this glimpse of you – in person – unedited, laid bare. We are grateful recipients, and I’m sitting here right now, grateful, too, to just breathe.
    Amber C. recently posted…Why Dia de los Muertos matters to meMy Profile

Amber, sweet friend, just seeing your name in my space here almost makes me tear up, because I know the level at which you will see me will borderline shake me inside. In the best way possible. This is a gift – thank you. So much. And thank you for receiving. For breathing with me. For letting Him love you here.

So much love, sister.

• Amber C. says:

Sweet Dana. Can I tell you? I had to re-read your response several times before it sunk in. I didn’t realize how hard it is to believe these comments matter so much. I’m so honored they do. And so touched, each time, by your seeing my heart. Thank you, sister. So much love, back at ya.
        Amber C. recently posted…Why Dia de los Muertos matters to meMy Profile

They SO matter, Amber. Serious. So grateful for your heart every single time you show up in my space. You see deep and hold space for my heart and I am so blessed by who you are. <3

19. Kristi Smith says:

Wow, Dana. What a beautiful song! I’m sitting here listening to you sing this song and I can’t help but to let the tears fall as God draws me into His presence. This song has awoken something in me that needed to be awoken again. Thank you for being willing to be vulnerable and to share your heart with us. He’s working in you, Dana and He’s using you to bring others into a deeper intimacy with Him.

Kristi I gotta tell ya, when I read your comment last night I almost didn’t know what to do with myself. When I am quiet before the Lord, what I so often ask Him is that my life – my music, my writing, my presence – would awaken hearts to His love, to His movement on their insides. Thank you so much for your description of how this song has moved you… I am thankful and humbled beyond words. Love you, dear sis.

Thank you so much Dana! The words of this song are so beautiful. The description our great need for our Savior is poetry. How often I forget that the only way to have true rest and healing in the tattered worn places of my heart is to rest in Him, and abide in Him. This song is a gift. :-) Thank you again for being so brave and vulnerable and sharing this with us.
    Jolene recently posted…Day 13 resting in scriptural promises Psalm 100:3-5 Multitude MondayMy Profile

I’m so glad you’re here, Jolene, that you listened. Your faithful presence here, and your encouragement, are a continual gift to my heart. I’m so thankful you were blessed by my song, my friend. <3

21. Pat Baer says:

This song, this, “Endless longing birthing beauty” is so sweet, Dana. It’s no small thing to be invited into your home and into your vulnerable heart. I count it a tremendous privilege and thank you for it. Keep singing. Keep pressing in. Keep being the lovely fragrance of Christ.
    Pat Baer recently posted…Thoughts About My Mother and Pierced EarsMy Profile

Pat, thank you for being here, for entering in and being before Him with me. And for your encouragement – such a blessing to my heart. Blessings back at you, my friend.

22. Miah says:

Beautiful – thank you!

23. Pingback: In Which I Bare the Burning of My Soul {with some measure of brevity, believe it or not} | Dana L. Butler

24. Becky Daye says:

Finally got to listen. Just beautiful- all of it. So blessed by your beautiful heart! Keep singing, keep writing, keep leaning on Jesus, because what comes out is truly remarkable. So much love!
    Becky Daye recently posted…Assumptions are the Antithesis of Appreciation~ Way 15My Profile

Becky, thank you for your encouragement, my friend. You bless my heart profoundly. Much love back at you, sister.

25. Pingback: Day 16: Can I Make a Confession? | Dana L. Butler

26. Pingback: Day 17: In Which I’m Requesting Your Prayers | Dana L. Butler

27. Pingback: Day 19: Singing for You Again {The Way You Love} | Dana L. Butler

28. Paula Gamble says:

Oh Dana, this is so touching and inspiring! Thank you for sharing your heart in song! I really can’t wait to meet you in person!

Paula, your comment here blesses me so much, sister. I can’t wait to meet YOU in person! AAAHHH!!! I am so excited!!