How God Moves Pieces into Place {and why I’ll be quiet a while}

My boy and I, we leave the house bright and early this morning to run my parents half an hour north to the Kansas City airport.

Their four days here went by far too quickly, punctuated by showing after showing. Five showings while they were in town, and six total in the last week.

All this, after averaging one showing every three weeks or so for months, and we’re looking around at all these giants turning to bread right and left. They’re looking less insurmountable by the day.

It’s one thing to stand in faith on God’s promises, and a whole ‘nother soul-dismantling experience to see them being fulfilled before our very eyes.

Are we under contract? Not yet. But very specific answers to prayers are streaming in while we stand back and watch, jaws hanging open.

I of course can’t share details just yet, but I’ll say this: Jesus is extravagant to us.

Meanwhile, our Maia bean up and takes off walking, spends the entire time my parents are in town finding her footing, growing noticeably more sure of herself by the day. She’s a blast to watch.

New words are finding their way through her 13-month-old lips every couple of days too, and I can’t help but draw parallels between her emerging and stabilizing and expanding sense of confidence — and my own.

photo-19 photo-16

We spend the week with my mom and dad flitting from park to mall to kid-friendly restaurant during showings, and Isaac has the sweetest interactions with his Gigi and Grandpa of possibly any chunk of time we’ve ever spent with them.

It’s a gift to watch your parents love your children, to watch that love be reciprocated. There’s nothing like it in the world.

photo-20 photo-22

We hit one of our favorite parks during our Wednesday afternoon showing and I find myself letting my mom push my kids in the swings, and jumping on a swing of my own. I swing — like, really swing — and the height and the wind in my hair {and the accompanying adrenaline rush} are soul medicine, along the lines of the water slide from last week’s pool adventure.

****

And through flurries of house cleaning and round after round of people through our home, our hearts quietly orbit this idea of cocooning.

Now that August has rolled around, I’m yet again coming face to face with my need for solitude. My yearning to be refilled in the secret place. It’s a theme that grabs my gaze over and over again as I read the words of kindred-hearted online friends. It’s a holy whisper that echoes inside me, ever closer to the surface.

I call my counselor this morning and leave her a message, belatedly letting her know that our contract fell through, that we’re still in town, and that I need to see her this week if possible, because this whole cocooning thing is pressing all my *fear of man* buttons.

My fear of disappointing people as we pull back and seek quiet spaces together as a family. My need for approval. And most especially, my fear of being misunderstood.

::shiver::

My chest aches and my stomach does flips as I consider the ways this solitude season has the potential to disappoint people I dearly love. As I weigh the likelihood that our hearts will be misunderstood.

The aching isn’t constant though; it’s intermittent, punctuated by hours at a time of this bubble of peace that cushions my insides.

And y’all, I’m so thankful. God’s hand is all over this season for us; His heart is turned toward us; He is not passive in our waiting.

And while we’re worn thin and lots of things feel unreasonably exhausting to us in this season, we’re encouraged as we see God moving hearts and pieces into place in our behalf — both circumstantially and in our cores.

He is to be trusted even when His hand can’t be fully seen, and it’s our heartbeat, our cry in this season – may we be found faithfully trusting, continually surrendering, deeply abiding in You through it all.

_______

*I’ve avoided key details again, I know, and I’m publishing with very little editing, but I thank you for your gracious and prayerful receiving of the words I’m able to share here today.*

**I’ll be taking the remainder of August to be still and quiet. I’ll pop onto Facebook to announce any major news that comes up relative to the sale of our house {If you don’t follow my blog’s Facebook page and you’d like to, you can find it here}, but otherwise my social media channels will be pretty quiet. Please know you’re loved and thought of, and that I so deeply appreciate your walking beside our family in this season.**

***Sharing this post with my friends in Lisha and Kelli’s communities. So grateful for how you all embrace me in the midst of my story.***

This entry was posted in Family Moments, Give Me Grace, misc. walking with Jesus, Unforced Rhythms. Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to How God Moves Pieces into Place {and why I’ll be quiet a while}

1. marvia says:

Grace and peace be with you as you settle in the to the quiet spaces.

Love you friend!!! Your faith is healing and inspiring. Stay the course.

Praying for you my friend. He is faithful!
    Barbie recently posted…The Weekend Brew: New Every Morning!My Profile

Bless you, precious friend. Your dependence on Jesus is beautiful to see.
    Sarah recently posted…The Battle Belongs to the LordMy Profile

4. ‘Jesus is extravagant to us.’

I just love this statement tonight! Thank you so much for this gentle reminder. He is good … all the time!
    Linda@Creekside recently posted…Living Wide-EyedMy Profile

5. Pat Baer says:

Even in the midst of turmoil and change, you have the blessed security of solid parents and growing little ones. They’re anchors in your shifting sea – gravity against a total free float. I have no doubt your quiet exit will be rich with heavenly movement. Bless you for sharing your heart here tonight, Dana. I loved it and look forward to reading about your ‘next chapter’.
    Pat Baer recently posted…My Brittle Heart Yearns To Be SoftMy Profile

Rich with heavenly movement… mmmm… yes, please. It already is, actually, and I’m so thankful. Your reading and receiving of my heart is such a blessing, Pat. Thank you.

Praying for you. Waiting for pieces to fall into place is so difficult. There are times I feel like life is that jigsaw puzzle which we put together, only to discover there is one piece missing. This morning I pause as I remember He is holding that very piece in His hand. And He will slip it into place – in His time. In His way. Blessings!
    Joanne Viola recently posted…Help My SoulMy Profile

Oh, yes… SO difficult, eh? I’m so thankful for your reminder that He is holding the missing piece, that His timing is perfect and His heart toward us is good, even (and especially?) in the waiting. You bless my heart, Joanne – thank you for your words here.

7. Continuing to think of and pray for you in this season, Dana. God is good all the time, and all the time God is good. I’ll be anticipating your FB announcements sweet friend! :-)
    Holly Barrett recently posted…Focused on the goalMy Profile

Holly, I appreciate your thinking of me, and your prayers, so, so much. He IS so good. I’ll be in touch with you soon. :) xo

8. Praying that details continue to fall into place & that this time is sweet with your family in the midst of the busy days to come! We’ll be here when you get back!
    LeeAnn Taylor recently posted…God Uses Small BeginningsMy Profile

Thank you, thank you, thank you – for your prayers and just for walking beside me here. So appreciate you, LeeAnn.

9. I’ll be sure to check in and look forward to your return. I know His news is good, so I’ll wait patiently. Blessings and good to you beautiful Dana.
    Lisha Epperson recently posted…Give Me Grace : Staying in My Body, Meeting God on My MatMy Profile

10. Natalie says:

Those things that press the fear of man buttons resurrect themselves so easily, don’t they? Praying for all the good things that solitude brings during your August.
    Natalie recently posted…TogetherMy Profile

Oh, yes they do resurrect easily, Natalie. Ugh. So thankful that His strength is made perfect in my weak places as I lean into Him. Also thankful for your prayers. They mean so much to me.

11. kd sullivan says:

Thanks for reminding me of His extravagance for us. I pray God’s will and timing over your situation. Enjoy your quiet time away…may you still enough to hear his gentle whisper above the roar of your surroundings!
    kd sullivan recently posted…When You’re Between A Rock And A Hard PlaceMy Profile

I need reminded of His extravagance regularly, too! Thank you so much for your prayers for His will and timing – resting in those things. And YES to being still enough to hear His whispered heart. So very, desperately needed. Thank you so much for your words here.

12. Beth Hess says:

I’m so encouraged by your testimony of giants turning to bread. Oh how I NEED to hear other people say that the seemingly impossible is happening. I know God CAN do it, but to hear that He IS DOING IT is drops of grace on my desert spirit. Because I can’t stop feeling like it’s just all too late for His promises. That I must have missed the on-ramp to my purpose and I’ll be forever stuck in this traffic circle of “good enough” while only waving at where I want to be as I go around again. So I will honor your silence because I really get that, too. But I will be first in line to await the continuation of this love story between your family and your God.
    Beth Hess recently posted…For When My Mind is Wishy-Washy (Word of The Week)My Profile

Beth, I’m so glad and so THANKFUL that you’re encouraged by God’s movement in my story. My prayer for you is that you’ll find rest and stillness in His heart, right in the center of that traffic circle. Peace to you, friend. And thank you so much for being here – your presence and authenticity are a gift to my heart. So refreshing. Much love.

13. What an exciting time for you and yours. I totally relate the the introverted need to retreat, being an introvert myself. I can relate to your fears as well. But our God is bigger than all of it and he is for us. Enjoy August!
    Michelle Anderson recently posted…memory lane isn’t always prettyMy Profile

Thank you Michelle, my fellow introvert. :) And yes, He is bigger and fiercely committed to our hearts. So thankful. Blessings on YOUR August, too.

14. May your time of quiet be blessed, may your fear be replaced with love, may you feel the grace of God carrying you. I’m so glad you’re sensing God’s presence – what a gift. And I’m glad you have your parents to help you through this. Thanks for linking with Unforced Rhythms. Enjoy your break!
    Kelly Chripczuk recently posted…Both (a poem)My Profile

Be blessed, sweet friend. This holding back of words and details and self is good, for when you do share whatever it is that you will share, it will burst forth. I look forward to that. And in the meantime, enjoy solitude and refreshment and savoring Jesus. xoxox
    Amber C. recently posted…Wisdom comes in the form a tortoiseMy Profile

16. danalynnb says:

Hi Amber, so glad to see you here! You’re always fresh air to my heart, friend. Yes… it’s good, but yowza, it is hard right now. Blesses my heart to know you’ll be here waiting when I return and share. Much love, sister.