The Days He Brings Me to the End of Myself {Five Minute Friday}

Hey my friends!  It’s Friday and time for some unrestrained scribbling.  Five minutes on a one-word prompt.

If Five Minute Friday is new to you, here’s how it works:

No editing or over-thinking. Just write.  Then link up over at Lisa-Jo’s and encourage some fellow bloggers by reading and commenting. It’s easy and fun and freeing.  {And sometimes terrifying, but that’s beside the point.}

Join us here if you’d like - we’d be thrilled to have you!

The prompt this week is:

HERO

isaacfireman

He zooms into the room, bare feet gripping the wood floor.  He can turn on a dime.

“I’m a SUper hero!”

You are, buddy?  I say it with a grin, for possibly the 5th or 35th time that day.

“I’m BRAVE and STRONG!!  Like DADDY!”

Yup.  Brave and strong like Daddy.  My heart just about overflows with mush, no matter what the day’s been like thus far.

Oh, my Buddy Bear.  How you are so incredibly, creatively COOL and enthusiastic and how you turn me into a puddle without even trying.  You blow my mind and make my heart explode and I never knew I could love a little superhero so much.

You neeeeeeeed an astronaut costume.  Pleeeease?  And a police man costume.  You ‘don your firefighter costume and pretend you’re a cop.

And some days?  Like yesterday?  You bring me right to the end of myself, the end of my capacity to roll with all your 3-year-old punches and love well.  Dang it!  So I cave and I give in to frustration and I pray that Jesus protects and resources your little superhero heart while I am so human and hurried in my parenting.

I’m thankful He fills in my parenting gaps.  All my other gaps, too.  Thankful that He’s more committed to your heart than I can even imagine.  And thankful I can rest in Him because on the days when your super power is making me realize how weak a mama can be, He is my strong.

STOP.

Man, that was harder to write than usual.  I struggled to wrap words around my heart this morning.

Anyway… Happy Friday to y’all, dear friends.  You bless my heart.   Thanks for walking beside me here.

This entry was posted in Five Minute Friday, misc. walking with Jesus, Motherhood is Funny, Parenting. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to The Days He Brings Me to the End of Myself {Five Minute Friday}

1. This is so good! I’m the mama of a two year old and he is just in awe of the firetrucks that pull into the department behind our house.
    These boys…they have our hearts, but I know exactly what you mean about needing God to fill in the gaps. I am so inadequate. I mess up so much. Thank goodness God has it covered.
    Great post today! Visiting from Five Minute Friday!
    Jennifer Jackson Linck recently posted…Five Minute Friday {Hero}My Profile

2. Amanda says:

Yes, yes, yes. Loved it. Visiting from the link up.
    Amanda recently posted…5 Minute FridayMy Profile

3. Shannon says:

It’s something how those kiddos can “turn us into a pile of mush” without even trying. I’ve got a few of those myself ;) Thank you for sharing your words at the FMF link up!
    Shannon recently posted…Five Minute Friday: HeroMy Profile

4. Erika says:

So sweet.
    Erika recently posted…11 O’Clock ThoughtsMy Profile

5. Amy P Boyd says:

“I’m thankful He fills in my parenting gaps. All my other gaps, too. ” Yes Yes Yes. I am so very thankful that He fills in those gaps. He has taken all the hard days of when mine were little to mold them into strong faithful adults.
    Amy P Boyd recently posted…Hero {Five Minute Friday}My Profile

It’s hard to be the mom we all want to be every single day. I’m thankful God fills in all of our gaps and helps us and our children along this life journey. Beautiful friend.
    And I finally linked up again this week! xoxox
    Sarah recently posted…Hero {Five Minute Friday}My Profile

7. Honestly – FIRST thought for Hero – little boys in their super capes and eyes filled with wonder. Love the way you captured moments with your son wanting to be like daddy.

Beautifully written Dana. Thank you for sharing.
    Jolene Underwood recently posted…Heroes for the Kingdom {FMF}My Profile

8. ~Karrilee~ says:

Oh girl… I love this! Oh so much!
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted…Hero – Five Minute FridayMy Profile

9. Anita Ojeda says:

We need our mommy super powers from the moment they hand us the blanket-wrapped bundle until the day we die–without God, there’s no way we could do it!
    Anita Ojeda recently posted…{Hero} Worship-A New DefinitionMy Profile

10. Oh, honey. This face. This boy. I love how you turned the definitions of strength and weakness on their heads. It’s all upside down in this kingdom, isn’t it? Love you and the way you love your people. xoxo
    Ashley Larkin @ Draw Near recently posted…Five Minute Friday: HeroMy Profile

11. What a beautiful reminder of the grace we need and receive daily as parents!
    LeeAnn G Taylor recently posted…Finding the Hero in Your HusbandMy Profile

12. Alia Joy says:

Oh my gosh. That boy! Such a love. I love how you love him. And I love how you know you’ll always fall short and always be filled anyhow. Grace.
    Alia Joy recently posted…Five Minute Friday: HeroMy Profile

Dana, your little hero is beautiful, and so is your love for him and how he’s turned your heart to mush. I’m not a mom, but this is what I would hope for – love beyond what I could have imagined for these little people who bring us to the end of ourselves. And you know, I think there’s something so precious and powerful that’s passed on with your ‘weak’ love to your little guy – you’re showing him how to be human, and in being so, how to hold fast to the One who is your strong and compels you with His love to be more than you ever imagined. That’s glory.
    Amber C. recently posted…An ode to my heroMy Profile