The Truth About Stan-My-Man {just because}

stananov2013

For weeks now, I haven’t been able to stop staring at this picture.

I love everything about it.

The way my head rests on his shoulder, the genuineness of his smile, the depth of his eyes.

The way my eyes and smile unite to exude peace, contentment, security, even a deep groundedness, if that’s a word.

I adore him.  I love who I am when I’m with him.  I love who we are together.

I love the way the hood of his sweatshirt is slightly out of place and he doesn’t notice or care.  The turquoise scarf around my neck, reminding me of how from the time I was a kid, my mom has said that color looks best close to my face.  I think I agree with her.

I love that our kiddos were nearby when this was taken, unabashedly being themselves.  Being a part of us.

Oh, and then there’s the way my iPhone’s camera somehow turned my eyes from hazel to purple.  Weird, but I absolutely love it.

So yeah, I can’t tear my gaze away from the two of us here.  Together.  From our obvious contentedness just to be next to one another.

Because there are stories reflected in our eyes.  Stories of love and joy and loss and grief.  Of misunderstandings.  Of change.

The grabbing hold and not letting go, the fighting to see God’s goodness woven through our story, the pushing deeper into trusting God and each other, the fighting back toward one another again and again.  Late night talks, giving the benefit of the doubt, pressing in tighter and closer to each other’s hearts.

Six and a half years of standing on the edge of the everyday and choosing to fall in love again.  And again.

Love that covers, and covers, and covers.

I’m wrecked by the way this man covers me.  By how he fights for and toward me, not against me.  Stalwart in the face of my sometimes intense emotions, pressing in through my storms to pull me in closer.  Calling me out and drawing me out and beckoning me out.

How he desires me — all of me.

And the more my weakness surfaces, the more the steadfastness of his love undoes me.  Just deconstructs me till all that’s left for me is to receive it.  To receive him.

The way he bathes my heart in Truth, reminding me over and over of my Real Identity — and reminding me who I’m not.  Who I answer to, and who I don’t.

The way he uses scripture to fashion a shield for my heart and holds it there firm, unmoving, deflecting opinions and insecurity and fear and self-doubt.

This man is faithful.  A tender declarer of truth into my raw places.  A proven haven like no other human being on the planet.  My partner in the Kingdom and parenting and knowing Jesus and life.

Stan sees.  Sees Christ in me.  Sees who I am when I can’t see myself.

His love and leadership make me brave.  And on this journey deeper into freedom and facing fears, into calling and courage, he holds my hand and all the other voices are drowned out by his loud, confident cheering me on.

I’m thankful for Stan-my-man today, y’all.  So thankful.  And I couldn’t resist saying so.

This entry was posted in Encountering God in the Beautiful, Encountering God in the Mundane, Family Moments, Marriage, One Word, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to The Truth About Stan-My-Man {just because}

1. Oh yes. That IS an adorable photo of the two of you even though I’ve never met you in person. (I want your hair color). Sheer beauty and delight seems to radiate off your faces. I love this giving open adoration to your hubby online. Expressing joy without fear. Inspiring beauty in others.
    Jamie S. Harper recently posted…Life: Simplified Project #1 (Garage and Attic)My Profile

2. Lori Harris says:

Everyday is the perfect day to sing his praises from the city gates!
    Love you and that man of yours!
    Lori Harris recently posted…On Not Going Out in a Blaze of ShameMy Profile

Your words are like butter my friend! 😉 I love all of this and am thankful to know you and know Stan through you. What a beautiful picture you paint here of marriage and partnership. Love it.
    Sarah recently posted…#AskAwayFriday With Mrs. TeeMy Profile

Baha – butter… :) So thankful you’re my friend, Sarah Knepper! You bless my life deeper than words – butter-words or non-butter words. lol :)

This is a beautiful post! I love the warmth and encouragement of your post. It makes me want to go give my husband a hug. In fact, I think I am going to do that right now. Thank you for sharing your heart and your life with us.
    Jolene recently posted…1,000 giftsMy Profile

Jolene! YAY! YES – go hug your hubby! As I re-read my words tonight, I was thinking/praying, “I so hope this inspires some ladies to consider and deeply value the gift they have in their husbands….” Thanks so much for sharing your reaction with me. I love it so much! :)

5. Love the photo and love the post! Absolutely beautiful!
    Holly Barrett recently posted…Big Red Sofa: Mending FencesMy Profile

6. Katie Hawkins says:

Dana,
    This is absolutely beautiful, brought tears to my eyes to read such a marvelous description of love. Makes my heart happy, keep it up with your awesome writing :)

Katie Hawkins! LOVE seeing you here, girl! It was so fun to see you over Christmas and to hear a bit about your own writing experiences. Thanks for stopping by and for your sweet encouragement. :) xoxoxo!

7. Amy P Boyd says:

This right here is the love and marriage I want to show my kids. You have described the adoration that I want them to have have for their future spouses. I also want them to know that they deserve noting less in return.
    Amy P Boyd recently posted…A Different Christmas {Behind the Scenes}My Profile

I hear ya, my friend. Loud and clear. This kind of marriage is my hope and prayer for my kids too. Thanks so much for sharing your heart here. Beautiful and fierce.

8. Happy anniversary to you and Stan! I adore this declaration of love, my dear friend. What a stunning gift to be treasured and fought for in this way. Bless you both!
    Ashley Larkin recently posted…All limpingMy Profile

9. dana, beautiful, just beautiful. I love how you portray the “all” of marriage – including the fighting back to each other, giving benefit of doubt – it’s what our kids see and will give them the best chance at creating their own family. I wrote a letter to my husband on his 60th birthday. think i’ll go pull out that album and read it to him again.

10. ~Karrilee~ says:

Oh how I love this, my friend! Such a wonderful, wonder-filled man… such a gift, indeed! (I have one of those too!) Happy Anniversary, girlie!
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted…These Are The Days Of Small Wonders…My Profile