How Adopting Is Like Falling (Five Minute Friday)

Hiya friends!  Linking up over at Lisa-Jo’s place today for another 5-minute Friday.  I’m loving these lately, since this season of my life often necessitates that my blogging be doable in 5-ish minutes anyway.

Join in the fun today? Free-write for 5 minutes, link up over here, and then share some love in the form of comments on the posts of a few others. Fun and easy, and a great way to meet some awesome folks.

Today’s Prompt: FALL

How Adopting Is Like Falling

Not too much of a stretch today to fit our current life season into this idea of falling.

All of it feels like falling: those first steps into our adoption agency office, the home study process, the year-and-a-half wait (from the time we started).  Those were just the first few inches of free fall.

Now our fall accelerates.  Being selected and matching with a birth mom.  Meeting her.  Having 1 month to prepare for our soon-to-be-daughter.

Spinning out of control now.  Spiraling.  My heart is falling.

Falling in love with this baby girl.  With her birth mom too.

But the scarier piece is that I’m falling into a thousand unknowns.  All these what if’‘s.

And I’m thankful today that all of the unforeseeable, God sees.

All the unpredictable, He holds.

The entirety of this journey, He directs.

And this crazy-wild-terrifying-exhilarating-joyous free fall?

He’s waiting for me at the bottom.  And not just waiting at the bottom, but, whether I can see or feel Him or not, He’s jumping tandem with me.  He’s got me wrapped in His arms.

I’m falling right next to His heart.

Which makes this crazy plummeting, this spiraling out of control, completely okay somehow.

STOP. :)

Quick note: If you’ve stopped by from FMF, welcome!  And if you’re new here?  Double-welcome! :)  Happy to have ya!

If you click back through the last 5 or so posts on my blog, you’ll find more info on our recent adoption-related events.  In a nutshell though?  This is our first adoption, and we matched just over 3 weeks ago.  Baby girl(!!), due 6/16.  <–Father’s Day!

We are so beyond excited to meet our girl – Maia Sofia Grace.  [This is the story behind her name.]

If you’re interested, we’d love to have you join us on our wild adoption ride!  Your prayers for our process and your presence here are so deeply valued.  Here are a few ways you can keep up with us during this crazy season.

Blessings to you today, friend!  Again, thanks so much for stopping by.

<3, Dana

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to How Adopting Is Like Falling (Five Minute Friday)

1. Cheri says:

Oh Dana, I’m so glad I linked up next to you at Lisa Jo’s. What a wonderful way to fall. Into all His goodness and grace. Will remember you in my prayers. Happy waiting!

Hi! Glad you linked up next to me too! Yay! Yes, definitely falling into His goodness and grace. THANK YOU for praying for us. So much. :) Bless you Cheri!

2. Lori Harris says:

YES!!! The spiraling out of control is completely OK and the only way to live! Love your post friend!
    Lori Harris recently posted…Fall {To Steal Away and It’s A Five Minute Friday!}My Profile

YES. The only way to REALLY live. Heading over to catch up on YOUR post in a few. :) Thanks for being here today my friend!

3. Amy P Boyd says:

What a beautiful falling story. Thank you for sharing
    Amy P Boyd recently posted…On Her Knees {Five-Minute Friday}My Profile

4. Shawna Ervin says:

As another adoptive mom celebrating my daughter’s first adoption anniversary today, I can identify with what you said. I think I’ve kept falling even as all of the paperwork is finished and we continue relationships with birth parents and foster parents. It is such a rich journey. Congratulations!
    Shawna Ervin recently posted…Prayer My Children See Me FallMy Profile

Wow – congrats Shawna on your daughter’s first adoption anniversary! Love it!! It IS a rich journey… Incredibly so. Blessings to your family!

Thanks for your comments on my blog from FMF. Thought I’d stop by here and read yours and am so glad I did! We adopted our beautiful daughter 10 1/2 years ago in a similar situation. You are in for such a blessing. Adoption is truly a miracle…the way God finds the right family for the right baby and vice versa. Hang in there and take it one day at a time. Blog everything, as you are doing, so you don’t forget a single thing and can revel in the beauty later. Blessings

Great advice, Sarah! Blogging everything and reveling in the beauty later, I mean. Awesome. I love that you guys adopted also… and that it’s been a blessing to you guys. Thanks for your presence here today!

6. Tina says:

Dana, I always love reading your thoughts! Thanks so much for sharing your heart. I can’t tell you how many times you’ve blessed and challenged me in my own journey! I am praying for you often through this adoption journey.

I actually started doing FMF because of you. I enjoyed your posts so much, I wanted to join in on the fun! Now I’m not only doing it myself but my daughters have joined me and we’re even hosting a FMF kids’ edition link-up each week!

Blessings, love, and peace to you as you courageously hope in Him,
    Tina @ Mommynificent
    Tina recently posted…Thoughts on Eugene Peterson’s The Jesus Way – Introduction and Chapter 1My Profile

7. Kelli says:

Really enjoyed your Five Minute Friday post! We adopted our son four years ago. Two weeks after he came home, we found out I was pregnant with our daughter. :) Knowing God has a purpose and a plan for us makes the falling easier.
    Kelli recently posted…First Day- June 2013My Profile