An Update on our Meeting with Birth Mom [A.K.A. 5 Minute Friday: View]

Committing the same cardinal blogging sin today as yesterday to update you on our meeting with our birth mom last night.

Also, linking up over at Lisa-Jo’s today.  I like today’s prompt: View.  So, since I’m short on time today anyway I thought I’d try to wrap my update in this word and deliver it to ya in 5 minutes flat. :)

5 Minutes. No editing
(well, almost none).

Ready?

Go.

VIEW

I hear her voice on the phone as I walk out into the parking lot of our hotel.  She gets out of her car, and my eyes are drawn to her belly.  Her womb that is carrying our future baby girl.

I hug her, ask how her drive was.  She came an hour and 15 minutes to meet us.  15 minutes beyond doctor’s orders.

We walk inside, talk for a minute about where to sit, and settle at a table in the empty hotel dining area.

Our agency connection isn’t there yet, so we let her lead the conversation.  She shares why she’s chosen adoption for her baby.  How she wants better for her baby than she knows she’s able to give.  How we are the mom and dad and how she doesn’t want to step on our toes or interfere in our parenting.  How she just wants her daughter to know how much she loves her through the years.

Oh how we are on board with that.  SO. on. board.

She shares how many of her friends have 5 kids from 3 different dads and are sitting at home, living off the system because they can’t afford to put their kids in daycare in order to get a job.  She wants more for her life than that.  More for her older son.

She shares her fears that her friends will see her as a failure because she’s choosing to give her baby a different life.  A life she sees as better.  She shares how she struggles with her view of herself.  Is this really failure?

But my view?  And God’s?  We see courage beyond belief.  Humility.  Wisdom.  Strength.  Selfless love that’s deeper than words.

And God’s view – isn’t it what counts anyway?

Stop.

Okay… that was 6 minutes.

I honestly had a hard time stopping.

To finish out my update, I’ll just say that our time together went better than I could possibly have imagined it would.  She is profoundly confident that we’re the right family for her baby girl.  God has given her so many signs, she says.

I believe her.  We are so excited.

We talked baby girl names.  The name she’d chosen when she thought she might find a way to parent this baby?  It’s beautiful.  We’ve chosen to give our girl 2 middle names and use her birth mom’s name for her as one of them.  I love the way her name flows together.

I’ll share the name and the heart behind it next week, I think.  Along with ultrasound pictures. 😀

This coming Monday we’re going to drive out to where birth mom lives.  We’ll have Isaac with us.  Looks like we’ll get to meet her precious son and possibly her mom.  We’ll get to be present for her sonogram on Tuesday morning.  Hear the heartbeat and see our girl dance, hopefully. :) I’m so excited to see her.

Anyway, that’s the update.  To all of you, thank you SO MUCH for your prayers, and I know I keep saying this, but thanks for being excited with us.  Y’all are a precious part of this journey.

PS.  When Stan and I got home today I took the tags off all our baby girl clothes that we’ve bought/received for our girl.  They’re in the wash now.  With baby detergent.  This makes me smile.  A lot.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to An Update on our Meeting with Birth Mom [A.K.A. 5 Minute Friday: View]

1. denise says:

Bless you for sharing your heart. May your view in life get brighter and brighter.
    denise recently posted…Five Minute Friday-ViewMy Profile

2. Lori Harris says:

Giddy with some excitement for you guys!!! And I love the way you’re going to incorporate the birth mom’s name, too. It’s a beautiful way to honor her~
    Lori Harris recently posted…A View {It’s Date Night and Five Minute Friday!}My Profile

Hello, my new friend! I love that you’re giddy! 😀 Join my giddy club! :) Thanks for your encouragement on the name, too. Blessings you and your family!! Enjoy your Memorial Weekend. :)

3. Ashley says:

This was so real, honest, and beautiful. I enjoyed this so much!
    Ashley recently posted…5 Minute Friday~ ViewMy Profile

4. Cheli Sigler says:

The excitement is pouring from your post! I’m sure the birth mother feels blessed in your presence. Thank you for sharing!

Cheli, we pray she does as well. YES, we are so excited!! Thanks so much for your presence here today! :)

5. Mindy says:

Thank you for finding me. I LOVE your story and can’t wait to read the end! Blessings on your household.

Mindy
    Mindy recently posted…ViewMy Profile

Mindy, thanks for stopping over here today! You are so welcome to jump on board and follow our crazy journey! 😀 Blessings to you too!

6. Bethany says:

Visiting from FMF, and so glad I did! What an incredible journey for your family and your new girl’s birth mom. We have friends adopting a not-yet-born baby boy soon and every time I think about it, I want to laugh and cry at the same time. I keep thinking about God’s love and excitement over his own adopted children. What a wonder. Blessings on you in this season.
    Bethany recently posted…Five Minute Friday: ViewMy Profile

Hi, so glad you stopped by! I feel ya on the laughing-and-crying-at-the-same-time thing. And AMEN to your thoughts on God’s love and excitement over us. My husband and I have been so profoundly impacted by the idea that He’s adopted us into His family. This is one of our primary (if not our absolute number 1) reasons for adopting. Anyway, blessings to you as well Bethany, and to your friends who are adopting! I pray the rest of their process is smooth and awesome! :)

7. Rebecca says:

so courageous. the birth mom. you and Stan. so amazing.
    love, love, love hearing your heart and your joy! :)

8. Amy Corley says:

Clicked over from FMF…so glad I did. What a wonderful story. It touched my heart today in an extraordinary way as our family is waiting to adopt a baby through a domestic infant program. We have been waiting for about a year and a half. I pray the rest of the birthmom’s pregnancy goes smoothly and you are holding your little girl in your arms soon! Blessings on your and your family!
    Amy Corley recently posted…Five Minute Friday: ViewMy Profile

Hi, welcome Amy! Glad to have you! Have you all been in waiting family status for a year and a half? The wait feels like forever, doesn’t it? It took us a year and a half from the time we began our process… and just a couple weeks shy of a full year as a waiting family. Blessings back at you, friend! I pray YOU guys are matched soon, that the Lord brings the perfect situation for your family.

9. Judy says:

Dana and Stan,

I am so excited for you. Adopting a baby girl is so unbelievably special! I share your joy and admiration for the birth mother. It is a selfless, heart-wrenching decision that takes courage, wisdom and strength on her part.

You will be in my prayers during this last stage of your journey! So wonderful!!

10. Oh Dana!! SO excited for you…WOW! God is so good :) And I love your insight about the birth mom. As I witness so many choose to keep their babies while facing impossible odds, it really does require a selfless humility to choose adoption. Just beautiful!
    Jacque Watkins recently posted…How to Understand Tragedy and SufferingMy Profile

Jacque, thanks for stopping by and commenting! Wow, I imagine you have a unique perspective on this because of your career. Selfless humility indeed… I’m floored and undone by our birth mom’s heart for her little girl.

Stopped over from Five Minute Friday! How exciting. I’ll be praying for you and your family, as well as the birth mom!
    Barbie recently posted…The Weekend Brew: He’s Calling You To Come Away!My Profile

Barbie, so great to have you! Thanks for stopping by, and even more for your PRAYERS!! So appreciate them! :)

12. Ashley O. says:

This is beautiful! It just made my heart smile. <3 Your daughter's birth mother is giving her the most selfless love she can give. God bless both of your families!
    Ashley O. recently posted…Once Upon a Time by Rachel HauckMy Profile

Ashley, yes, she is. I love that your heart is smiling. :) Thanks for your presence here! Love having you.

13. Jane H says:

I have been watching and waiting to see how your meeting went. My heart is overflowing…..what a good mom the birth mom is in being able to make this sacrifice for her baby. That is true mother love….I hope she knows. And for you and your family, what a blessing and answer to your prayers. God is so good. We will keep praying at our house….can’t wait to hear the name and think it is so wonderful you are using the birth moms name also. I am just overcome with emotion as I think how the Lord has worked out every detail…..He is so good….all the time.

Hi Jane, YES, He is SO GOOD! And I so love all you said about our birth mom – yes, she’s incredible. I’m blown away by her and so proud of her. Undone, actually. Working on the next update right now, including the NAME of this little girl! 😀 Thank you and your family for your prayers!!!

14. Aprille says:

I’m so beyond excited for you. What a brave mommy!! <—saying that about BOTH of your baby girl's mommies!
    Aprille recently posted…RespiteMy Profile