On The Day We Meet Our Birth Mom

I’m about to commit a cardinal blogging sin: I’m going to write something, proofread it quickly, and then hit publish.  Normally I write, proofread, walk away for a day or two, edit some more, then schedule the post for the NEXT day, and then maybe edit even MORE before it goes live.

Not this time. :)

Tonight we meet our birth mom.  Not sure yet exactly what time because a few things are up in the air, but it’ll either be around 5:30 or 7 pm Central.

I think I mentioned before that our connection from our agency will be facilitating the meeting.  Really thankful for that.  She’ll ask questions that both parties may or may not remember to ask on their own.

Last night Stan and I stayed up late-ish talking and praying with some dear friends.  Went to bed and I actually was able to sleep(!!), but of course, my dreams were dominated by this meeting and all of the possible (and impossible) things that could go wrong.  Crazy stuff.  At least I slept.

Interesting – in “real life” I don’t feel nearly as nervous as I do in my dreams.  Maybe I’m suppressing some anxiety?  I don’t know.  But today, I feel calm.  Peaceful.  Like Jesus is holding all of this – every heart, every unforeseen event that could possibly occur.

And He is.

So what do you do on the day you’re going to meet the lady who is bearing your child?

You (or at least I) wake up, skip showering till later, drink coffee and dip a chocolate chip cookie in it (dessert for breakfast?!  gasp!), pray with your hubby and send him out the door for a half-day of work, read books and give extra hugs and kisses and tickles to your son who will be staying with housemate Jerusha while we’re gone overnight tonight.  You pack.  You pray some more.  And you rest in the Lord.

Those are my goals for this morning.  Around 2:30 this afternoon we’ll load up and head out, drive several hours into KS, and there the adventure begins.  Or continues, rather.  I think it actually began a year and a half ago when we started our adoption process.

Anyway… those are my thoughts on this day.  Everything still feels surreal.  SO, SO surreal.

I know I don’t have anything profound to say this morning, and I may or may not even make sense as I write.  But I wanted to share with you all on this day as I’m pinching myself to make sure that all of this is “for real,” and to request your prayers on a few specific subjects:

• Please ask God to protect this meeting.  That nothing would prevent each party from being able to be there.
  • Pray that hearts will be open and at peace.
  • Pray that we, and our birth mom, will remember to ask the questions we need to ask.
  • Pray that we will form a solid connection with her.  That we’ll love her well.
  • Pray that we’ll exude JESUS to her.  We don’t know whether she knows Him or not.
  • Pray that we’ll be at rest in Him, relaxed, and just ourselves.
  • Pray that Isaac and our housemate Jerusha will have a sweet time together while we’re gone.  That Isaac will be peaceful.

And that… is that.

Friends, thank you, THANK YOU for walking beside us – supporting, praying, being excited along with us.  Oh my goodness – – this is really happening!!

May you know the extravagant heart of your Father toward you today.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to On The Day We Meet Our Birth Mom

1. carol l says:

Praying, for wisdom, peace and that His love and grace will shine on and through you all today… And, still so excited
    Prov 19:21 TNIV

2. Karmen says:

Praying for safe travels and for Christ to shine through you all during the meeting!
    Karmen recently posted…Love BloomsMy Profile

3. Tina says:

I’m so excited for you! I’ve been praying for a few months now each time I read your blog that God would give you a baby! I’m praying now for all the things you mention here. Blessings!!!!

Tina, thank you so much for your comment. Means so much to me to know that you’ve been praying for so long. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

4. Rebecca says:

thank you for sharing! so exciting!

5. Lisa Spidle says:

Hi Dana,

Your post caught my eye on another blog. I had to stop and read. I remember those feeling almost 26 years ago. It did feel surreal. I was abnormally calm, although with a huge pit in my stomach. That day we not only met our birth mom, but our baby girl as well. It was highly emotional moment. For the rest of the day, I kept looking at this beautiful gift God gave us and telling “Hi I’m your mom, this is your dad. We love you so very much.”

I will be praying for you as you venture into this journey. God’s perfect plans are so beautiful aren’t they?

Lisa, thanks so much for stopping by! So glad you did. Wow – meeting birth mom and baby both on the same day – I can only imagine! I can’t wait to hold our girl and say those things to her. 😀 Thanks for your prayers – so much – and YES, His plans and timing and just His WAYS are so beautiful – they undo me.

6. Jane H says:

Reading this at the end of the day and praying that all went well. Can’t wait to hear all about it.

7. Lori Harris says:

Well hello back at you~ it’s a small world! I actually went to college at UNC-Greensboro, class of 2000. Love that we found each other! I snooped around your place and I love that you guys live with your people. And you’re right, community is worth it and God is worth it. Praying that everything went well today and that your little guy is at rest tonight. I think we might have a kindred spirit, so I’ll be reading every word you write. =) And on a side note, do you attend The Well?
    Lori Harris recently posted…On Mercy and How I May Not Be A Rotten Homeschool MamaMy Profile

Hi Lori! Yay! So glad you stopped over! Thanks for subscribing too! :) Love that you said you think we might be kindred spirits. So fun to discover those! I haven’t heard of The Well before but there’s a church here in KC called Jacob’s Well. I’ve heard good things about it but our church is called King’s Family. Here’s the website: http://www.kingsfamilykc.com/

Anyway, looking forward to following you and getting to know you better. 😀 xo

8. Stacey says:

Hi there! Waaaaay random, but I saw your post on the human milk for human babies Facebook page for your soon to be adopted daughter and it caught my eye because we adopted our daughter recently, and we’re in KC! It eventually led me to this blog. Oh the creepy interwebs. :) Anyways, from one local adoptive mama to another, congrats and I’m excited to read a little bit about your story thus far! We too were working with a couple small local agencies but ended up meeting our daughter’s birth family through a coworker and now have an open adoption. Hope last night went well! :)

9. Pingback: An Update on our Meeting with Birth Mom [A.K.A. 5 Minute Friday: View]